You’ve finally met someone you’re compatible with. You’re on the same page insofar as goals and values but there’s one thing that’s been gnawing at you. They’re Catholic and you’re a Protestant. Is it okay for a Christian to marry a Catholic? Read more to find out.
Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?
2 Corinthians 6:14-18
Catholics are Christians!
The criteria for being a Christian is whether or not you believe Jesus Christ is the son of God and that he died for our sins. Yup, that’s it. Since Catholics do believe that Jesus is the son of God and that he died for our sins that
Should we date Catholics?
Now onto the more important question of whether or not you should marry a Catholic. To answer this question we need to do a brief history lesson. The Protestant movement began as a protest against the practices of the Roman Catholic church. Hence the word protestant I’m sure we all learned about Martin Luther who nailed the famous Ninety-Five Theses to the door of the All Saints Church in Wittenburg Germany. This was a protest to the Catholic Church’s selling of indulgences to raise funds.
While Christians it’s important to understand there are some very real differences between Catholicism and Protestantism.
- We don’t believe in saints as this is a form of idolatry. One of the core beliefs of Protestantism is that all men are created equal in the eyes of the Lord. While pastors are selected by God He does not hold any clergymen to a higher regard. The only distinction He makes between human beings is believers vs non-believers
- We don’t believe that pastors should be celibate. In fact, I personally think it is better for a pastor to have a family that way he can show by example the proper way to rear a Godly family.
- We have no Pope. Understand that the Pope is not just the Catholic equivalent to a CEO of a large organization.
Tomany Catholics the Pope is infallible and almost a demigod to be worshiped
- We believe that the Bible is the only valid word of God and we don’t need any other tradition or book. Catholics, on the other hand, are more similar to Muslims where they are more based on traditions and even have two different versions of the Bible.
Catholic and Christian Dating Success Tips
While technically not a problem under the Biblical scripture if you insist on dating a Catholic understand that as Christians we are dating to marry not just to date. Therefore if you do insist on dating a Catholic please follow these tips:
- Make sure there is a clear and complete understanding that the children will be raised in the Christian church and follow Christian principles–specifically Protestant principles
- Ask your partner how open they are to be baptized in a protestant church
- Make sure he/she doesn’t expect you to indulge in any of their Catholic traditions such as Pope and Saint worship. Your partner should know that in your eyes Mary is a woman just as your mother is a woman. While Mary did indeed conceive of Jesus’ flesh it is God and God alone who is both the mother and the father of our savior Jesus Christ.
Dating is tough for Christians these days which is why I wouldn’t suggest to anyone to break up with someone with good values and morals because they happen to identify as Catholic. That being said your best bet is to avoid these hard discussions in the first place and date someone who’s faith is truly congruent to yours. There are many great Christian dating sites where you can find a match that shares your faith. I’ve created a comparison for your reading pleasure.
If you need more help to find a Godly partner then you should read my articles on what to look for and how to get a Godly life companion.